27 August, 2010

It Ain't Where You From Kid, It's Where You At


New place? New place. I'm officially a resident of the village of As Matuis. Or the village of San Roque. I guess it depends on who you ask. Regardless, it's the place I had been looking at online (some of you saw it), and it's the real deal. $500 per month gets me a 2BR, 2BA place that's fully furnished. Not shabby at all. Here's a quick tour:


This is the view from the balcony just outside my bedroom. It doesn't suck.

I'll have some more pics tomorrow. My internet here is hit-or-miss, so once I get to a decent wifi spot I'll upload the rest. Here's a preview: Mangos, Jackfruit, a large living room, and a cow (he lives next door...I've decided to name him "Elvis").

I've found that the island lifestyle is quite different from the one I had in The States. There's really no sense of urgency about anything whatsoever, so your only options are to roll with the punches or allow your head to explode. I'm going with door #1 for now...let's see how long it lasts. Case in point: I got my PO Box on Tuesday, however they only had one key and could not let me take it before a copy was made. I was told that said key would be available to me the following day. I was told the exact same thing when I went in on Wednesday. Earlier today (Thursday, although it's technically Friday right now) I went to Quick Print and was once again told that the key was not mine to have. But wait, "give us a second and we'll take care of it". As I waited I glanced at the Lost and Found section. A few sets of keys and a postcard that appeared to be extremely personal and sincere occupied the space of a 2 foot x 2 foot glass case. Then I heard it. A f*cking key cutting machine. 30 seconds later I was given my key, as they'd obviously just made the duplicate. I have no idea why this hadn't occurred to them on Tuesday, but as I said, you just have to laugh it off.

This evening I accompanied another teacher (Emily) to the Garapan Street Market. My oh my...a full skewer of Korean BBQ Beef: $1. Don't mind if I do. There's a mini-stage where local kids perform dance routines, and it did not disappoint. Would you enjoy watching 10 minutes of hula dancing followed by 10 minutes of junior high kids popping and locking to unedited L'il Jon songs? I thought so. We left the dance area and walked around the market before settling on two open stools at Johnny's, which has an outdoor bar. I enjoyed a couple of Rolling Rocks (seriously, it says "Rolling Rocks" on the menu...not sure where the pluralization of the beer's name came from) while Emily had two mojitos. I dropped the young lady off and made it back to my new place where I was greeted by a tiny gecko on my door. Seriously, the thing wasn't three inches long. I made an agreement with the gecko that I would allow him to stay on the door as long as he cared to, however inside my apartment was off limits.

In all seriousness, everyone I've met and talked to out here is fabulous. Sure, I've been the recipient of more than one "Who the F does this white boy think he is?" glance, but by and large the people here are awesome. I'm hopefully going to be the new owner of a 1992 Camry as of this weekend (it's a hoopty), and when that has been taken care of I'm officially "done" with moving.

I dropped by Marianas High School today to check out my classroom, only I couldn't as it is in the process of being renovated. I found out a bit more regarding the Alternative Education Program which I will be teaching, and it couldn't be more positive and negative at the same time. To wit:

-I'm going to be in a building separate from the rest of the high school. I mean FENCED THE F OFF from everything else. Apparently my students are either being bussed in from jail or are certainly well on their way to being a criminal. Then again, I kinda like those kids...reminds me of people I grew up with.

-The program is "self-contained", which means ALL SUBJECTS will be taught in my classroom.

Just when I thought I was going to look into stiletto wands and stun guns they told me that:

-I'll have a teacher partnering with me ("Team Teaching" as it's known in the biz); and

-Their class size last year in this program: 3. Three students. Three kids, two teachers. I might have as many as five students this year. Ho ho ho.

I'm really hoping my team teacher wants to take over math and science.

That's all for now. As I mentioned before, I'll post more pics once I get the chance. Now please, can some of you start commenting on these posts so I know people are reading them?

-Steve


15 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome what you are doing!!!
    Keep up with the posts...I enjoy them.

    Good Luck and Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your posts, it is now part of my morning routine.

    P.S. take more pictures to make me jealous enough so I quit my job and move there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you've handled all the big things before work starts. Keep your head on a swivel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been keeping Natalie updated on your status.
    Hooray a sunny island pic!
    The market sounds like fun, take some pics if you can without getting weird looks.
    3-5 kids for a whole class!!! That is like the smallest class size ever, but maybe that is for a very good reason, and you and your teaching partner will be able to make a real difference in their lives.
    Hope you can find a "Winchester" out there, and hope the Camry takes you to the beach soon, we want to see some cool fish pics.
    Brian has been taking very good care of your bike by riding it EVERYDAY to work, the weather has been amazing here.
    funny story: the other night Natalie and I were out to eat with my parents and sister, when i handed her glass of milk you will never guess what she said...yep she did!
    Take Care,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Team teaching with 3-5 kids. I realize the kids will not be you average high schooler but still..pretty sweet. I am so very excited for you! I'm glad you found a place to live and it sounds amazing. I can't wait to see pictures of Elvis, your new neighbor. I really enjoy reading about your exciting life so thank you for taking the time to write.
    Love,
    Kate
    p.s. I think you should write a book about this because I can just imagine it will only get better once you start teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the posts, your blog is part of my morning routine too. What kind of wildlife is there on this island? Monkeys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, we are also enjoying your blogs, I agree with Kate you should think about writing a book. Maybe you won't need a dog now that you have "Evis" Sounds like you will have a challenging year with the kids. You will be great!!! Take care , we will continue to follow your blogs.

    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps Clem Haskins wrote the menue ?? Rolling Rocks = Burgers Kings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep blogging, I honestly check it every day!!
    I'm super jealous, but hey you already knew that.
    Keep the blogs and pics coming....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading the blogs. Keep up the fine work, my friend. I enjoy the posts thoroughly. Along with pictures, post some video of the popping and locking. I'm intrigued. I once was inspired to buy "Darren's Dance Moves" off of an infomercial. Shorty does not know how to pop and lock it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am impressed with how many readers you have, pretty soon you will be making money off of this blog!

    The first thing I thought about when i read about the gecko was the one you bought marnie and nick for their wedding shower! that gecko is going to make it into your place because of a little thing called karma:)

    I love reading about all the adventures, but I still expect the emails with the prospect list, because I am sure there is already one developing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't realize I could comment due to the fact I was so focused on reading your witty written words! Keep it up and we will need to get you published for sure! Take care, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joey and I read it everyday and just laugh. We hope you have a great time out there. And we want more pictures too. Should have someone just ship you some Diet Coke those prices are crazy.

    Joey and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a flippin blast dude! You're gonna let me crash when I get some leave, right?
    Hehehe...don't know if I'll survive the plane trip.

    Take Care,
    your cousin Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the blog. Keep it up!

    Only 3-5 kids and TWO teachers?!?!?! These kids sound hard-core but I am sure that you are just the one who can manage it. I look forward to hearing about these kids and how they will be testing you.

    ReplyDelete